I am offering for sale this fantastic example of a classic muscle car/ute. It is a one year only design 1972 Ford Ranchero GT. This is essentially the ute version of Clint Eastwood’s “Gran Torino” in the film of the same name.
This Ranchero GT currently located in Western Australia and is fully registered as a LHD car until May 2016. The car is my own personal vehicle which I imported from the United States.
The collectability of this particular year and style of Ranchero in the US is reflected in the fact that few are offered for sale and, when they are, the prices being asked are increasing rapidly.
Please note that the WA personalised plates DO NOT come with the Ranchero
The Ranchero was launched from Dearborn, Michigan in 1957 as the American automotive industry’s first ever car/pick-up, two years before Chevrolet’s belated response of the ‘El Camino’!
Undeniably handsome and perfect for the small businessman in the service industry, the model evolved in the late sixties into a full force muscle machine!
Upsizing of the Ranchero continued into the seventies with the 1972 with the release of the “Torino” styled Ranchero. It was said to combine the best of both worlds; a beautiful and fast luxury muscle truck/car. To this day, many fans of the muscle car hold the 1972 model in high regards. To many, the 1972 GT packaged Ranchero was, and still is, the best Ford Ranchero ever made.
This offering of the 1972 Ford Ranchero GT is an absolutely exceptional example of an original southern California, 3rd owner, always garaged, RUST FREE, and with no evidence of any accidents.
- Exterior: The Ranchero was originally repainted with Dupont Imron Dark Blue Metallic & White in approximately 1994. However, I had it repainted in a Dark Metallic Blue and had matte white GT stripes added. While it is still extremely very presentable as is, there are again some minor scratches and imperfections in the paint, most of which could be buffed out if desired.
- I ordered a custom made hard tonneau cover from Gaylords Lids in Santa Fe, California and had the optional “speed spur” wing added to the cover. The cover is fully lined and has drainage toughs fitted.
- There was a recessed power antenna installed in the body flare behind the driver door and the Ranchero has a custom tube grille fitted. I have, however, had the antenna and the door handles shaved. The doors are now opened with a remote “door popper”. All chrome and aluminium trim is original and has not been restored.
- The Ranchero also has the US equivalent of a “Hayman Reece” tow bar fitted.
- The bed is totally free of imperfections or fillers and has a “Line X” protective finish. I also had the battery re-located into the bed of the Ranchero.
- Interior: The interior features the GT Rally Cluster with tachometer and quartz clock, factory air-conditioning, interval wipers, power steering, and power front disc brakes. The pillar and window seals have been replaced. PLEASE NOTE – as the air-conditioning was required to be de-gassed and dismantled prior to entry into Australia, the air-conditioning is not currently operational and will need re-gassing and re-assembly.
- The seat and door panels are unmolested and in exceptional condition for the age of the Ranchero. There is one small scratch in the padded dash. The carpet is original, shows some wear, but is in overall good shape. The original seat belts and shoulder harnesses were replaced as part of the Western Australian registration and licensing requirements.
- An iPod interface, power amplifier and speakers were added to the original working Factory AM/FM Stereo. In addition, and to avoid changing over the speedo to Km/h, I installed a HillSpeed Digital Speedometers from Bogaard Distributors.
- I also have an electric window kit that I purchased from the US and is included in the price but is not yet installed.
- Unlike Australian “utes”, the Ranchero was built using either a sedan or station wagon chassis. The benefit of this is that behind the seats is, what would have been the foot-well of the rear passengers. In the Ranchero, the space behind the passenger is where the spare wheel and jack are located. Behind the driver’s seat there is a great amount of storage space.
- Driveline: According to the person from whom I bought the Ranchero, the engine and transmission were professionally rebuilt at the high 90k miles mark (undocumented). The 351 “H” code 2 bl. carburettor engine is strong and responsive, with excellent oil pressure and no oil leaks or unusual noises. The 3-Speed Cruise-O-Matic transmission, which has a larger capacity oil cooler for added protection under heavy loads, shifts very smoothly through the gears.
- Since 2007, the person from whom I bought the Ranchero had installed NEW brakes, NEW Alternator, New radiator and hoses, NEW A/C compressor, dryer and updated the remainder of the system. Also added for performance and efficiency was a PerTronix Polished Billet Distributor w/Flamethrower Coil. A 3.0:1 open differential and rear coil suspension with air shocks brings up the rear.
- After I imported the Ranchero, I had the engine taken out and a new mild cam installed. In addition a larger carburettor was installed.
The Ranchero purrs like a grumpy kitten at idle and roars like an angry lion when my foot is put down!
Since having the engine rebuilt I have had chrome rocker covers fitted, high capacity spark plug leads and a higher crank amp alternator fitted.
- Wheels & Tires: “Vintage” American Racing Torq-Thrust D wheels are shod with P235/60 (front) and 255/60 R15 (rear) BFG Radial TA’s.
In addition, with the purchase of the Ranchero you will receive an Elite Marti Report for the car, 5 Workshop manuals, the original owners’ documentation and a coloured wiring diagram sourced from classiccarwiring.com.
There are many more photographs of this beautiful vehicle as well as additional information which is available on request.
This amazing example of a 1972 Ford Ranchero is located in Western Australia. It is fully registered as a LHD vehicle and licensed until May 2016.
This is one great, classic daily driver and reliable muscle truck/car and it absolutely turns heads whenever and wherever I drive it!
The price shown does not include the costs of shipping or transporting the Ranchero to the new owner.
Until next time.
Our contact details are:
Office – from Australia: (08) 6162 1968
Office – from NZ or anywhere overseas: +61 8 6162 1968
Mobile: – from Australia: 0421 880 604
Mobile: – from NZ or anywhere overseas: +61 421 880 604
No private numbers please. Sorry, they will not be answered.(but please leave a message and I will return your call as soon as possible).
Fax:- from Australia: (08) 9355 4465
Fax: – from NZ or anywhere overseas: +61 8 9355 4465
***Private numbers WILL NOT be answered***
TrueWest Imports is now very proudly supporting Cystic Fibrosis WA. Part proceeds of all sales will be donated to CFWA. I encourage anyone who views this post to kindly make a donation. I greatly appreciate any assistance you may be able to give.